Tuesday, February 5, 2008

gym-nast-ic

As I mentioned in a previous blog post, gyms sick me out. It isn't as if I'm a complete germaphobe, but think about it: hundreds of sweaty people sitting on the same equipment with their sweaty butts day after day.

And how 'bout those yoga mats....*shudder*? You don't even have to use your imagination on that one. I once went to an Extreme Abs class right after a yoga class. Without a care in the world, I picked up a mat, set it down, laid in the crunch position, and heard a squish. The mat was actually still wet. UGHHH! Needless to say, I tossed the mat and used the hardwood floor.

My gym has started offering disinfectant to wipe down equipment with, and I've taken advantage. And what I witnessed yesterday was just a reminder why. While I was stretching, I noticed a woman wandering around who was obviously new to the gym. First of all, she was wearing Crocs, which should never be worn at all - much less as athletic footwear. Second, she was examining each piece of the circuit training equipment as if it were an exhibit in an art museum. She finally found a machine that didn't completely befuddle her, so she decided to give it a whirl. So what was the first thing she did? SHE KICKED OFF HER SHOES! That's right. She was using the equipment barefooted. I threw up a little in my mouth.

Hey, I'm not the only one who thinks gyms are gross...Newsweek just did a story on it.

No comments: