Wednesday, January 2, 2008

happy new year

So we've officially started another new year. The years seem to go by a lot faster than they used to. I guess for a long time I was always in such a hurry for the next big thing, that I couldn't wait for another year to pass.

The whole time I was in grade school, I just couldn't wait to be one grade older. The next grade held more privileges, more prestige, more freedom. In college, one more year meant I was one year closer to being done with school and moving on with my life. Had I known what the real world is actually like, I might've savored my college experience a little more.

Now that I am in the real world, a new year really just means that there is an opportunity for change. When I was younger, everything was pretty much mapped out for me. There was little question about where I would be in a year. I'd be one grade higher doing the same extra-curricular activities with the same friends I'd had since elementary school. But now when I look back at the last five years, I see how drastically things seem to change from year to year, and the possibilities seem endless. That can be something to look forward to, but really it's pretty scary too.

So only God knows what 2008 will bring. By the end of the year, I could have another job or even own my own business. I could be in new organizations surrounded by new friends. I could be in another house in another town. Believe me - I tried the whole mapping out my future thing, and what I learned is that God is the one in control - not me. So I guess I'll just go along for the ride.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As I grow older these kind of thoughts brush through my head and I can never lay them down clearly, and I read this, and its like, "yes!" Its kind of cool to identify yourself with stuff written by another person, because its like hearing a voice in your head, ummm... like a deja vu or something. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Thank you! That is very cool. I'm glad I'm not alone.