Tuesday, September 18, 2007

stability...or the lack thereof

Maybe I grew up spoiled, but I was raised with an incredible sense of stability. Don't get me wrong, I am grateful for that. I think that can definitely be a positive thing; kids need stability.

But what happens when, at age 23, you graduate college, get married, get a job, and you're thrown out of the protective incubator to which you've grown accustomed? You're no longer living with people who have steady jobs, all of their finances in order, and always provide you with a fresh supply of Aggie Bucks; you are living with someone who is just as clueless as you are about the whole "grown-up" thing. It often looks like two drowning people frantically pulling each other under water.


God and I have had a lot of conversations (and by conversations I mean me whining a lot) about how, just when I think I have things figured out, the rug gets pulled out from under me. When you're in your twenties, particularly late twenties, you feel this need to find out who you're supposed to be for the rest of your life. There's this understated pressure to have the next 30 years mapped out.

But when a person who thrives on stability marries an entrepreneur, stability junkie is constantly flipping out. Things change daily - no hourly - no secondly (is that a word?). But God likes to take us out of our comfort zones so that we can grow, so I am pretty sure He planned it this way. He sure does have a sense of humor.

No comments: