Tuesday, September 25, 2007

talk to me!!

You would think as someone gains experience, they would become better at something, right? Apparently not so! I have been writing articles and doing interviews for said articles for about six years now. And until I took on this freelance writing gig, I have never once had issues getting people to agree to an interview.

It would be one thing if they would just tell me they were busy from the get-go so that I could find someone else and be done with it. But no, they have to say something along the lines of "Well, I'm pretty busy this week, but let's meet at X time." Then they postpone or don't call back or tell you to email the questions and then never email you back. Do they do this to the other publications in town? I don't want to take this personally, but man! I am just trying to give them some free publicity, and you'd think I was scheduling them for a root canal!

Now don't get me wrong, some people have been great. They jump at the chance to be heard, and they give me as much information as possible. They've even been accommodating to my weird schedule (I can only do interviews around my lunch break and after 5:30 because of my regular job). But without the people who keep giving me the runaround, I can't FINISH the article and, therefore, I can't get PAID which is the whole reason I'm doing this!! Vicious circle.

No comments: