Thursday, October 11, 2007

pipe dream

Since I was about 12, I've had this dream that one of my novels or short stories would be made into a movie. My story would be loved by millions, Oprah would induct the book into her sacred book club, I'd make the talk show circuit, Conan O'Brien and I would become BFF. But, as I became immersed in the real world, that dream seemed to be slipping further and further away. In fact, I hadn't even thought about it in awhile.

Then, out of nowhere, a friend of mine from high school wrote me a message on Facebook saying that, up until a few seconds ago, he never knew I wrote narrative. Turns out my film director friend is looking for a screenplay that will get him into Cannes. Reeeaaallly? So he asked to read some of my short stories. Unfortunately, those were lost in the great computer crash of 2003. So I told him about the one that still sticks out in my mind the most. Just so happens that story is just the kind he's looking for.

Sooo...looks like I'll be writing my first screenplay this weekend. I sure hope this goes somewhere.

No comments: